Colin's LEGO birthday party

Can you remember being 7 and waiting impatiently for the day of your birthday party? Colin can tell you: it seems to take FOREVER!!! 

Finally today was the day, and we have been up since 7, preparing.

I didn't involve him much in choosing the games, but for the scavenger hunt I needed to leave the house, and I did NOT want to leave him home alone because he would see all the stuff that I made, so he helped hiding 14 LEGO bricks.


Playground



Convenience store. He asked the lady's permission.


Fence at daycare


Street sign


Fire hydrant


And more.

At 11am his best friends arrived. Their parents attended an out of town wedding today, and in order for the boys to be at Colin's party, we basically adopted them for 24 hours. For the time being I parked them in front of my notebook. 


They had fun watching videos, and I had peace and quiet to decorate the cake and set up everything in the living room.

Artists' corner




Spider web station


Every long string that was attached to the LEGO brick led to the kid's  assignment badge. 


After lunch, the guests arrived. 



We didn't know when the rain that was being predicted, was going to arrive, so we went on the scavenger hunt first.



They found the LEGOs so quickly that I was glad when it looked like they wanted to spend some time on the playground - but no. "Let's go, there must be more games" they said.


By the way, I stuck a letter on each LEGO, and they had to put them all together.


Back at the house they had to untangle their threads.


They did really well.


"Build something from the list"

Something like a flag


A pyramid


Not sure what this is. But he was looking so cute with it!


Or the Eiffel Tower


"Draw your own place mat"


"Play LEGO Bingo"


Guess how many LEGO pieces are in the jar?


"Have your picture taken with the LEGO man"



I should have put "have cake" on the list of things, too, so I could have achieved something today as well ;-) Oh, wait - I MADE the cake!


Everybody had their own nice personal place mat




Blowing out the candles makes a boy thirsty!



What's a birthday party without opening presents?


I love that some wrote a card. I never bother myself.


Some went outside to play. Others made awesome LEGO stuff.





I had one more ace up my sleeve in case I needed to keep them busy: the chocolate game. You do know the chocolate game, right? It's been around forever around here. I'm pretty sure we played it at my 7th birthday party.

This is how it works: kids are sitting around the table and roll the dice. Whoever throws a six puts on a scarf, sunglasses, a hat and gloves. Dressed like this they try to open the chocolate bar that is usually wrapped in newspapers.


Our chocolate was hidden in a LEGO construction that Colin made.


The catch is of course that as soon as you're close to eating a piece of chocolate - if you're dressed quickly enough - the next person strikes a six.


My turn!


No! Mine!


Look, she managed to eat some!


We had so much fun!


All done!


Waaaaaait a minute, not so fast! No party favors?


If you're curious what's in the treasure chest, have a look at my previous post.

I can't believe that this was it. So much planning, baking and crafting, and at 5pm they go home! Well, it ain't over till it's over. We still have our sleepover guests… I do hope they are as tired as I am. 

Maybe not.

PS: there were 35 LEGO pieces in the jar. The closest guesses were 30 and 40.

Comments